I adore Cinco de Mayo and have hosted wonderful parties the past two years in honor of the celebration. I’m sad to say, this year we wont be hosting one. Reminiscing about previous parties is always fun! Last year I made a few really tasty treats that I’m sharing with everyone. First we’ll examine these Churro cupcakes. You most likely already know about the sweet Cinnamon-y goodness of the ever so popular carnival food. I though it’d be fun to rework it into a cupcake.
Churro Cupcakes Recipe
The cake portion of the cupcake was adapted from A Cup Full of Cakes version.
- 3 cups cake flour, sifted then measured
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 11 Tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups light brown sugar packed
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1-1/4 cups whole milk, room temperature
- Dulce de Leche, homemade or store-bought, for filling
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Line muffin pans with baking cups.
- 2. Sift together flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- 3. In large bowl, cream butter, cinnamon, and sugar with electric mixer until light and fluffy. About 5-7 minutes. Add eggs and vanilla; mixing well after each addition.
- 4. Add flour mixture in 3 additions alternately with milk in 2 additions, beating batter just to combine between additions. Do not overmix. Continue beating one minute. Divide batter evenly among lined cups, filling each about two-thirds full.
- 5. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until cake tester or wooden skewer inserted into center of cupcake comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes. Turn out onto cooling rack; cool completely. Cupcakes will keep, covered, for up to 3 days at room temperature.
I followed the recipe up to the yummy filling and then chose to opt for my traditional butter-cream frosting dusted with cinnamon and sugar. I also used cinnamon sticks to decorate a few of the cupcakes and to also serve as a little hint to my guests as to the flavor they weren’t about to enjoy.
Check out these Cinco de Mayo ideas too!
11 years ago
Yum! I want one of these!
LEAVE A COMMENT