Chances are that most of us have made a New Year’s resolution and broken it – it’s okay, we’ve all been there. But it doesn’t mean we have to give up, there’s a new year ahead of us, and we can all use this time to improve ourselves. Here are some ways you can stick to your resolutions and see them all the way through:
- Be Realistic – Don’t make your goal unattainable. If your goal is to form healthier habits, don’t swear off sugar and carbs all at once. Instead, vow to gradually remove unhealthy foods from your diet, and to begin substituting them with healthier choices.
- Make a ‘Pros’ and ‘Cons’ List – There’s no better way to make a decision when you are stuck between two choices. Ask those around you to contribute to it and keep it with you for reference when you’re in a bind.
- Talk About Your Resolution – Don’t keep your goals to yourself. Tell supportive friends and family what you hope to achieve. You never know if you could find someone that shares your resolution, that way you will each have one another for motivation.
- Celebrate – Reward yourself by doing something you enjoy and that doesn’t contradict your resolution. Celebrating your progress and success is a great way to stay motivated.
- Write It Down – Keeping all of our ideas in our head can create clutter and confusion. In order to stay organized, write down your goals and resolutions, keep them somewhere you’ll always see them to remind yourself of what the endgame is.
- Recommit – If you’ve fallen off the wagon, don’t beat yourself up about it! Instead, give yourself 24 hours to recommit to your resolution. It is okay to have setbacks as long as you get yourself back on track!